Univ.-Prof. Dr. Gerhard W.
Selected pictures on relevant events during the last years, and photos showing some of the most important cooperation partners. With personal notes.
Authors Photo for the Book Die neue Dimension der Gesundheit (The New Dimension of Health) – Ursula Demarmels and Univ.-Prof. Dr. Gerhard W. Hacker © Fotostudio R. Haidenthaler, Berndorf; Demarmels & Hacker, 2008 ff.
• Spiritual regression hypnotherapist Ursula DEMARMELS , humanity and animal welfare diplomate Michael AUFHAUSER, and myself in the Salzburg Residence Castle, 2007 (left) © Manfred Siebinger, Salzburg. • Meeting with Dame Jane Goodall at Michael Aufhauser's world famous animal paradise Gut Aiderbichl in Henndorf bei Salzburg, 2009 (right)
• Key Lecture on Environmental Medicine at the East Meets West in Medical Education Conference (Organizers: Peking University Medical Faculty & Cornell Medical College / State University of New York), Beijing Friendship Hotel, Peking (left) • Environmental Medicine Guest Professorship Lecture, University of Shantou, PR China (right); 5/2008
• Private visit by the former Dean of the Medical
Faculty of Peking University (PKU), PR China (2008 university world-ranking: no. 8):
Prof. DDr. Jiang Gu (right) and Univ.-Prof.
Dr. Gerhard W. Hacker (left), 5/2008. Prof. Gu is now the Dean of the huge Medical Faculty of Shantou University, PR China
• Grand Decoration of Honour for Services to the Republic of Austria, awarded to me by the Federal President of Austria, Dr. Heinz Fischer (2007). The photo shows the handing over in a ceremony at the Salzburg Residence by Governer Deputy Dr. W. Haslauer © Franz Neumayr,
Salzburg, and Landespressearchiv
• Participation in the cinema documentary film Am
Anfang war das Licht (In
the Beginning There Was Light) directed by Mag. P.A. Straubinger (ORF). Allegro-Film & Thim
Film Wien. Producer:
Helmut Grasser (We Feed the World and
Let's Make Money). Available in many languages, including German, Spanish, French, Portugese, Croatian, Japanese and English. The photo shows me with Mag. P.A. Straubinger at the Public Cinema World Premiere on Sept. 9th, 2010 in Vienna
Dr. Gerhard W. Hacker delivering the Prayer of the German-speaking scientits in St. Peter's Cathedral, Rome / Vatikan (left). Private audience
with Pope John Paul II.,
The Human Search for Truth in the Holy Year 2000
• Humanity, a better relationship between humans to each other, to animals, and to nature are amongst my most important life tasks. The photo on the left shows one of the most outstanding Austrian personalities in ethics, HR Dr. Alois GRÜNER, former head of the Health Department of Salzburg Government and father of the Austrian Ethics Commission. I was blessed jointly collaborate with Dr. Grüner on ethical projects, including work on hospices development and palliative care • The photo on the right shows me with a KATTA monkey at the beautiful Schoenbrunn Zoological Garden in Vienna. Kattas are an enormously endangered animal species, and the Vienna Zoo has outstanding projects to help protecting those wonderful monkeys worldwidely naturally only appearing in Madagaskar where more and more nature gets replaced by questionnable projects...
A few renommated cooporation partners and associates
I would like to express my sincere thanks for years long cooperation and personal friendship
Pics in each of the following rows are described from left to the right below each line
• The late Dame Prof. DDr. Julia M. POLAK († 2014),
University of London / Imperial College, Royal
Postgraduate Medical School at Hammersmith
Hospital: Pioneer of Peptide-Endocrinology
and Histochemistry, and of stem cell research. Joint research projects from 1985 to 2002. Julia thought me true science, presentation methods, a certain toughness needed in sciences, and how to work productively. I owe her a lot. Dear Julia, thank you so much for your inspiration and personal friendship. Indeed, you were my most important academic teacher! • Prof.
DDr. Lars GRIMELIUS, University of Uppsala,
Sweden. The Father of Silver Impregnation Methods
in Histochemistry. Numerous joint publications on endocrine tumors. We cooperatively developed the method of Silberacetate-Autometallography. Lars is one of the most friendly and open minded scientists I've ever come accross. Amongst many onther things, he tought me scientific openness, dealing with the mysterious question "What if?" • Prof. DDr. Huici SU, Private University College
for Traditional Chinese Medicine, San Francisco,
CA, USA, and former president
of the Society of Anatomy and the Society of
Histochemistry of the People's Republic of China: One of the most intelligent and of the most busy teachers in my life. Amongst fruitful cooperation and friendship since 1985, Su Huici tought me the art of Chinese cooking • The late Prof. Dr. Raymond TUBBS, DO († 2014), Section Head of the Molecular Pathology Department, Cleveland Clinic. Raymond was research fellow in our Salzburg institute and we cooperatively developed a number of highly sensitive gold and silver staining methods, especially on single gene copy sensitivity using In situ PCR and Catalyzed Reporter Deposition (CARD) Nanogold-silver methods. Prof. Tubbs was an enormously intelligent and kind person. Dear Ray, I'll never forget the inspiring times we spent together - Thank you so much!
• Prof. Dr. Stavros PAPAMARINOPOULOS,
University of Patras, Greece:
Geophysicist and cooperation partner
on geopathic stress zones. Stavros is one of those far too few scientsts really looking beyond borders of classical sciences - in his case, beyond physics • Dr. Rimantas PETROSIUS, State Science Research Institute, Institute of Geology & Geography of Nature Research Centre, Vilnius, Lithuania: physicist and geologist, specializing on geopathy. Rimantas is seen here in front of the "Devil's Stone", a geological natural monument located in Northern vicinity of the Švendubrė village. This solitary granite rock is regarded as a sacred stone of Bronze-Iron period. Besides its geological, landscape and archeological values, the Švendubrė stone has great mythological significance. Rimantas organized the first universitary conference on Geopathic Phenomenons which took place in the wonderful Druskininskai National Park of Lithuania. One of the real forerunners of this newly evolving field of biosciences.
Susan VAN NOORDEN, University
of London / Imperial College, Royal Postgraduate
Medical School, London, UK, is a Pioneer of
immunhistochemistry: the photo was taken at a joint congress in Napels, Italy, where we both lectured in 2002 • Prof.
DDr. Gorm DANSCHER, University of Aarhus,
Denmark, is a world famous pioneer of heavy metal detection in microscopy. Based on our joint research in Uppsala (Sweden) and Aarhus (Denmark), we published numerous joint papers on autometallography. From time to time, I am stilly trying to more open-up his mind towards spiritual ethics and to avoid animal experiments, which in my eyes, are a terrible mistake of many scientists who simply forgot that we are all One, and that we have no any ethical right to mis-use animals • Prof. em. Dr. Jules M.
ELIAS, former Pathology Institute head at the State University of New York at Stony
Brook, NY, USA. Since the mid Eighties, Jules and I collaborated on method refinement for use in cancer pathology diagnosis. From him, I also learned about our ethical responsibility for environmental protection.Thank you, dear Jules! Amongst being one of the world authorities in immunohistopathology, Jules is a fantastic clarinet player • The late David Richard SPRINGALL (1945-1997), a real father of immunogold-silver staining techniques, blessed squaredance musician, and one of my best friends at the London Hammersmith Hospital in 1985. I'll never forget you, dear David!
Prof DDr. Ingeborg ZEHBE, Thunder Bay Regional Research Institute, Canada. Since about 1986, Ingeborg and I jointly colloaborated for some twenty years on virus-related cancer research focussing on human papillomavirus. Following Uppsala and Salzburg, Ingeborg also invited me for joint human papillomavirus research at the DKFZ (Deutsches Krebsforschungsinstitut / German Cancer Research Institute, Heidelberg). Together with Prof. Raymond Tubbs (Cleveland Clinics, OH, U.S.A.), and Univ.-Doz. Dr. Anton-Helmut GRAF (president of the Salzburg Cancer Help), we developed CARD Nanogold in situ hybridization - worldwidely the first method which allowed single gene copy detection without the need for PCR (polymerase chain reaction) in microscopy. In parallel, Ingeborg and I also developed the Nanogold in situ self-sustained sequence replication based amplification (in situ 3SR), which allowed single copy detection of RNA sequences in microscopy for the first time. Were were also the first in Europe to successfully implement in situ PCR methods for Nanogold-Silver light and even electron microscopy (the latter was achieved together with Dr. Wolfgang MUSS). • Already in 1984, I met Assoc. Prof. Dr. Annie L. M. CHEUNG (University of Hong Kong) at the London Hammersmith Hospital, where we both studied at Dame Prof. Julia Polak's Department of Hisotochemistry. We collaborated on many projects of histochemistry and histopathology, and Annie was also here in our Salzburg special techniques lab as a research fellow. Our personal friendship lasts for nearly 30 years by now • Prof. DDr. Masahiko ZUKA,
Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Medical, Pharmaceutical and Health Sciences at Kanazawa University, Japan, during his visit of our lab facilities in Salzburg in 2002
To the Top of this Page